Add subtle texture and depth to your walls with this stippling technique.
Learn how to create this bold and modern stippled effect using Benjamin Moore paints. This is a quick and easy way to add depth and create subtle texture to your walls.
- Two or more satin sheen or semigloss Benjamin Moore paints
- Benjamin Moore Studio Finish latex glaze in clear
- Paint roller
- Painters tape
- 2 or more natural sponges
- Sponge roller
- First, apply your base coat with the roller sponge. To achieve the modern slate look from the photo, start with Benjamin Moore’s Amber Slate.
2. Next mix the color you wish to use as the texture with the Benjamin Moore Studio Finishes Latex Glaze. The ratio should be 1:4 (Paint:Glaze). For this part we’re going to combine Benjamin Moore’s Mopboard Black, with the Studio Finish Latex Glaze.
3. Pour the glaze mixture onto one of your plates.
4. Dampen one of your sponges, dip it in the mixture and blot out the excess. Begin in the upper corners and dab the sponge lightly onto the wall—keeping in mind to overlap the edges and to rotate the sponge to create a more organic appearance. Rinse the sponge as needed in water to keep it from becoming too saturated with the color.
5. After you have covered a relatively large section, rinse your sponge in water and wring it out. Use the damp sponge to dab on top of the wet glaze mixture—this removes some of the top color and allows the base color to come through.
6. Continue this technique over the whole wall until satisfied. Don’t forget to practice beforehand on some cardboard.
Enjoy your beautiful new walls!